R: [TowerTalk] Problem with KT34XA found

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: R: [TowerTalk] Problem with KT34XA found
From: Maurizio Panicara" <i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 22:49:42 +0200
May be someone it's interested on my experience with KLM caps....

I bought and installed my KT34 in 1987 and, til 1992, I replaced caps
3 times,changing three colors sets.
Now I've also 3 different KT34 instruction (collected from friends who
bought the antenna later than I did) manuals were it's reccomended to
replace caps, if they are a specific color. Funny but in each manual  the
color to be replaced is different...
In 1993 I moved, and when preparing the antenna for the new location it was
possible to see that again some of the caps were broken.
Since already I performed 3 cap colors full changes (a long annoying work)
and nothing different was available, I gave up with replacements and, with a
small confidence, I decided to repair the broken ones covering with  plastic
hot glue.
The same was done also to all of the other caps as a preventive measure.
I aspected problems (i.e. with high power) or problems within a short time,
so much that I was ready to buy a new antenna.
Well, after 6 years from that threatment, my KT34 is still working fine and
never showed again problems with rain, snow or high umidity.

73,
Mauri I4JMY