[TowerTalk] MEASUREMENTS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MEASUREMENTS
From: km6iu@jps.net (Larry L Moore)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 18:51:29 -0700

--------------37D75D8741575651DE87D731

Ward  - I thank you for your reply. I will review the report futher.
The major hangup that I have is with is with the position, that some have
taken, that all of the antennas one would look at would have extremely
simular/identical patterns. Having identical patterns would indeed minimize
the risks of inaccuracies in comparing unit to unit [to a dipole ] in a ground
enviroment. The problem I have , with the identical  pattern position, should
survive the e-mail hurtle :
1  I thought antennas realized gain through the change of it's radiation
pattern.[ ie it reduces the power in some undesired directions and directs it
in a desired direction - vola!! GAIN. If true --- antennas with different
gains must have different patterns.
2   If antenna's have different patterns will they not be effected differently
in a "real world" ground enviroment??
3 If the same antenna [ in this case a c-3 ] is installed and tested two or
more times [ and the data repeats within 1 db ] it is reasonable to assume
that its pattern and the "world" [ignore measurement calibrations] have not
changed. Thats what you have experienced and no reasonable person would have
expected major changes. It is a major leap tho to assume a much different
antenna would measure higher or lower only due to the antennas gain and not
due to the "test fixture"reacting to a different pattern.
If you can just help me over the pattern problem I will be happy.

I agree that your testing efforts have been very positive and have contributed
to the understanding of Tri-band antenna measurements and performance. I take
my hat off to you guys for making a great effort and sharing the results. I
too hope more tests will occur [ as Roger Cox has also proposed ] and some of
the questions can be answered. I would also hope an open discussion about
those tests would occur as they have here. I think it is improper for some to
imply that it is not right to ask questions[about  tests ] unless you have run
some yourself. --  the questions have nothing to do with people or products
being good or bad.  73 and thanks. Larry
Ward Silver wrote:

> [...]
>
> The Bible, actually...but I digress...
>
> > What are the specifics of the technical argument that would convience a
> > reasonable person that antenna pattern differences [ with differing
> > antenna designs, [sizes, configurations etc] do not exist, that all
> > "ground associated" effects will impact all antennas equally and that
> > measureing in a theorical lobe null is as reasonable [ for accuracy ] as
> > measuring at a lobe maximum ???
>
> I believe that what Steve is suggesting is that the discussion is really
> quite beyond the scope of email, in particular email to the hundreds of
> reflectorites.  We present a number of arguments in favor of considering
> the protocol useful.  Without your having read them, it is difficult to
> summarize in email because of its length and detail.  The discussion W8JI
> and K2AV have had certainly captured the major issues and I suggest that
> you review those arguments.
>
> Permit me to add an observation that may help clarify things.  What W8JI
> has identified are *risks*.  He is quite right to identify risks and I
> anticipated discussions of this nature when writing the report.  In the
> context of testing, a risk is the possibility that the measurement is not
> valid for the purpose intended - namely, useful comparisons of antenna
> performance. Whenever a test does not measure a parameter directly and
> with absolute traceability to standard references, risks are involved and
> must be dealt with.
>
> Our position is that the risks are manageable.  Validation of a test
> protocol can be acheived in one of three ways; historical results,
> analysis of the protocol, and additional tests (i.e., developing
> historical results).  We recognize that because this is a new protocol,
> there is no history and the environment renders analysis untenable.  That
> is why additional testing is needed - as pointed out several times in our
> report.
>
> The results from the test, to my mind, also indicate (not confirm) that
> the test is reasonable because the gain figures vs. boom length trend
> similarly to theoretical figures from W2PV monobander designs.  Also,
> repeated measurements of one antenna (the C3) were very similar (1 dB of
> variation) over time, apparently tolerant, if not independent, of ground
> conditions. These observations by themselves, of course, are not
> sufficient to validate the protocol.  Only additional testing which
> generates similar results would do that.  To date, there is isn't exactly
> a line around the block pushing and shoving to get their antennas up in
> the air, so the question will have to remain open for now.
>
> Trying not to sound too self-commercializing, you will simply have to read
> the report and decide for yourself whether the protocol generates risks
> that are too large to be "reasonable".  All of our arguments, processes,
> and results are there and in public for your review and comment.

report futher.</font>
that some have taken, that all of the antennas one would look at would
have extremely simular/identical patterns. Having identical patterns would
indeed minimize the risks of inaccuracies in comparing unit to unit [to
a dipole ] in a ground enviroment. The problem I have , with the identical&nbsp;
pattern position, should survive the e-mail hurtle :</font>
change of it's radiation pattern.[ ie it reduces the power in some undesired
directions and directs it in a desired direction - vola!! GAIN. <u>If true
---</u> antennas with different gains <u>must have different
patterns.</u></font>
will they not be effected differently in a "real world" ground
enviroment??</font>
and tested two or more times [ and the data repeats within 1 db ] it is
reasonable to assume that its pattern and the "world" [ignore measurement
calibrations] have not changed. Thats what you have experienced and no
reasonable person would have expected major changes. It is a major leap
tho to assume a much different antenna would measure higher or lower only
due to the antennas gain and not due to the "test fixture"reacting to a
different pattern.</font>
and have contributed to the understanding of Tri-band antenna measurements
and performance. I take my hat off to you guys for making a great effort
and sharing the results. I too hope more tests will occur [ as Roger Cox
has also proposed ] and some of the questions can be answered. I would
also hope an open discussion about those tests would occur as they have
here. I think it is improper for some to imply that it is not right to
ask questions[about&nbsp; tests ] unless you have run some yourself. --&nbsp;
the questions have nothing to do with people or products being good or
bad.&nbsp; 73 and thanks. Larry</font>
run it's course,
that
] as