[TowerTalk] Monitor noise

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Monitor noise
From: dlleikis@deseretonline.com (David Leikis)
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 16:52:44 -0600
I have had trouble with monitor induced noise at times and have traced
it down to usually one source, namely, the VGA cable to the back of the
computer. (Direct radiation from the inside is nearly impossible to
correct without a new case!)

The cable should be shielded, but with the less expensive monitors is
rarely so.  This cable frequently is laying near power cables, signal
cables and such and with the frequencies running through there and their
levels it can be a real problem.

I don't have alot of advice, but we (at work) had to get high quality,
shielded (with a conductive connector), type of monitor cable to prevent
the noise.  If the cable is detachable, look for a good quality
replacement and be sure to check for a good ground from connector body
to body as well as the signal ground pin inside.  (I forget which pin,
it is usually listed in the monitor manual)

Good Luck,

David