[TowerTalk] HDBX 48 - Thanks for comments

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HDBX 48 - Thanks for comments
From: ka8okh@som-uky.campuscw.net (Rich Dailey, KA8OKH)
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 01:16:35 -0400

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments regarding
the hdbx hardware.  Here's a little more detail on my tower
project.  I welcome your further comments.

I chose the HDBX 48 for several reasons.  I will be mounting
a 10-3CD,  which exactly matches the Rohn recommendations
for boom length of 10'.  I *may* mount a 2m beam above it,
but right now I'm not certain of the effects of the extended
mast height.  Comments welcome on this.

I will be replacing the stamped rotor and top plates with something
a little more substantial.  I've seen these plates tear on other
bx's.  I severely cut the palm of my hand on one.  It's not fun to
bleed profusely at 50ft,  beleive me.

Lastly,  I am giving serious thought to mounting the rotor at ground
level,  and using a thru mast with the appropriate thrust bearings.  I've
heard of several hdbx owners doing this with excellent results.  This
theoretically removes the stop and go twisting forces on the tower
braces,  which as Steve pointed out,  is the numero uno failure mode
for this structure,  and the reason for Rohn's 10' boom spec.

  A few more questions -

* What to mount the rotor to?  To remove the twist from the tower,
you need to remove the rotor from the tower, right?

* How would the thru mast effect total wind load?

*What size and type of mast to run from the rotor to the antenna?

Great group here.  thanks again -

Rich

Rich Dailey, KA8OKH <ka8okh@som-uky.campuscw.net>
"The deadly yellow snow from right there where the huskies go" - Zappa