[TowerTalk] re:R7000

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re:R7000
From: wolfie@breezeshooters.net (Edward D Wolf III)
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 09:26:43 -0400
In regards to the R-7000...
The CT3 trap is the one that goes away.
I also lost the trap about 2 months after putting the antenna up.
Cushcraft did replace that one, but the same trap failed again, and
Cushcrap wanted me to buy their upgrade kit.
I dissembled the trap by removing the 4 screws, and drilling out the
dimples with a 1/8 drill bit.  Then I removed the shell and pressed
the tube down through the insulator to expose the form. I found the
lower insulator burned/arced.
I used a die grinder and a drill with a small bit to carve out the burned
areas, making it look like a honeycomb. I then took it over to my local
body shop and had the form packed with a plastic body filler, NOT putty!
I have been using the repaired trap for about 6 months now, though now
I keep the power around 1K.
Ed

--- RYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRY --- - Amateur Radio Station : N3UE -
- - International Order of Old Bastards - # 982442 - 1982 - -
President: BreezeShooters ARC - http://www.breezeshooters.net
----- ARRL VE, 10X, SCI, WPaDXA, SATERN, ARES, Skywarn ------
Amateur Radio & Motorcycle Place http://www3.pgh.net/~wolfie/