[TowerTalk] My first tower, Rohn 25G

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] My first tower, Rohn 25G
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:08:26 EDT
In a message dated 99-07-16 09:49:22 EDT, n1lo@hotmail.com writes:

> This will work but please definitely reconsider this and use the far
>  superior grips. I had a friend who felt the same way and went with clamps.
>  Then, when he was helping out with my tower he discovered just how easy
they
>  are to work with and realized how much better they are. Now, his clamp
bolts
>  are showing some rust. Clamps will also creep over time and must be
>  periodically retensioned to maintain their grip.

       I agree. Preformed grips are much easier to install and are highly
recommended. You'd have to hold a gun to my head to get me to use cable
clamps.

     And, yes, the cable clamps can (and probably will) loosen over time due
to temperature cycling. If you're going to use them, let the guys sit
overnight and go back and retighten them; that'll take care of most of the
temp cycling problem. You'll be amazed how much they've loosened up. And be
sure to use 3-clamps-per-turnback per the Rohn book and industry standards.

>  If you have a friend who
>  works for a local utility, you may be able to get cable and grips for cost.

       DO NOT follow this advice. Utility companies use a different grade of
steel wire rope cable that is NOT EHS. Use only EHS grips for EHS. Preformed
grips are precision parts and are not compatible with other grades of cable
even though they might be the same size. Rohn specs call for EHS cable so
don't substitute something else for it.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
Tower Tech