[TowerTalk] Yagis and Receive Strength

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yagis and Receive Strength
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:46:31 -1000
Aloha,  Tom wrote,  in part:

> The main problem is probably your high power. With only four
> elements and high power and absolutely no local noise, I have the
> same situation. Dozens of stations call that I can't copy. That's
> despite an S2 noise floor.
>
> Very few DX stations have 1500 watts, and most run 100 watts.
> Either you need a very special receiving array that has much more
> directivity than the transmitting antenna, or your transmitting will
> out do your receiving with the QRP stations calling you.

Now that is an interesting idea!  I have half-wave verticals
for all the HF bands,  at least from 30 meters on up to 10m.
(Well they started out as elevated 1/4 wavers with elevated
verticals.  Then noticed that they were so high above the
roof of the house,  that I tried eliminating three of the radials,
and dropping the remaining one nearly straight down to
form a center fed vertical half wave.  Actually the down
running leg does not go st. down on any of them.  On 30,
it slopes off at around 60 deg. down from horizontal.  They do
not rcv very well,  noise from all around the compass,  hi.
Lower end of the 30 antenna is still a few feet above the
roof of our house.)

Now suppose I hook my linear to the vertical of the moment,
and plug the C3 into the separate rcv antenna input of the
rig (Aux.  Rcv. Ant. on the Omni VI) That way,  I would offer no
gain from the antenna on transmit,  but would rcv a few dB gain
on rcv.

There is probably some reason why this is not a good idea!
But I will try it and see,  hi.

73,  Jim, KH7M