[TowerTalk] Cables buried in wire ducts?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cables buried in wire ducts?
From: Dick Wilder (K3DI)" <wilder@abs.net (Dick Wilder (K3DI))
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:57:47 -0400 (EDT)
I am looking for a way to bury cable runs to the towers.  The  run to
the first tower is 70 feet across a future lawn area.  An early estimate
indicates that I will need about 30 - 40  square-inches of cross section
on that run.  At tower one, the cables split to towers 2 and 3 but can
then be laid on the ground -- at least until gardens are established in
those areas.  The thrust of this query is the run to the first tower which
has the following requirements.
  1.  Cables must be LAID (not pulled) into the channel.
  2.  The covers must be suitable for quick cable changes.
  3.  The closed cover should have a neat appearance.  Color choice?

I am considering:
  1.  I attempted to get U-shaped concrete blocks which I could cover
with treated wood.  The block company would need to make special molds.
  2.  I am now searching for solid wall wiring ducts made from PVC that
have a snap on (or hinged) cover. Generally, these are intended to be wall
mounted but it would seem that they could laid in the ground.

The cost of the molds for approach one was rather stiff.  I have yet to
locate material and figure the cost approach two.  Cost is not the driver
but only one consideration.

Have any of you used wiring ducts for your cable runs?
Can you recommend a manufacturer or source?
Do you have any other ideas?

If all choose to reply only by direct email (wilder@abs.net), I will be
pleased to post a summary of the replies as one message.

Thanks for any clues, 73, Dick Wilder, K3DI, Arnold, MD
                               wilder@abs.net