R: [TowerTalk] connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: R: [TowerTalk] connectors
From: Maurizio Panicara" <i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 01:41:20 +0200

PL259 has been used for many years and it's mostly adequate for
HF amateur use. This can't lead to the statement that N connectors are
the explaination for failures, unless they are improperly used with cables
they were not designed for.

The PL 259 develops one of the electrical contacts through the outer
ring whose tightening has inherently a mechanical and electrical purpose.
This leads to unsafety because of thermal reasons (cold/warm cycles) and
because of oxidation.
The other PL259 contact is soldered to the inner of the coaxial cable
at its edge and this is risky, minimum as a wrong cabled N. Tin excess
might ruin what should be a perfect cylinder. The consequent spreading of
fingers in the female connector dramatically reduce the contact area and
the effective current capability of the connector.
The PL 259 contacts are not inherently weaterproof and if the resistance
of contact rises (oxidation) the heating (Joule)  will be high as the
current capability were times smaller. Smaller current capability leads to
an effective smaller power capability or to irreversible damages to
connectors.
The PL259 "air gaps" (i.e. the space between PL259 and SO 239) are at
risk of humidity and moisture. The dielectric constant in such cases is
rather questionable, in outdoor uses, compared to that of the N.
Allowed continuous power for an N connector is officially hundreds of watts
in the VHF range but PL259 failed repetitively at powers where N connector
had no problems, and well below 100 Mhz.
The N connector can be performed in a short time, comparable to a PL259,
if the process is done not only once in the life, using proper tools (a
right sized Iron-solder, a tool to comb cable shield, proper wrench) and
according to the appropriate cable trimmings.

73,
Mauri I4JMY

P.S. The inner conductor size has little to do with contact resistivity. The
         contact area is what counts. Definitely that of an N connector is
         several times bigger than most of relays used in full legal power
         PAs.