[TowerTalk] Unequal guy tension

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Unequal guy tension
From: sawyers@inav.net (Steven H Sawyers (n0yvy))
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 23:30:33 -0500
My standard guying for Rohn 25 under 100' towers is 1/4" EHS. I even suggest a
spread mount and 6 guys for anti-torque at the top.

Increasing the guying does wonders for increasing the allowable antenna wind
load if you increase the concrete for the anchors.

If you look at the types of antennas that most commercial tower users install,
you will find the smaller towers - Rohn 25, 45, and 55 - are generally
supporting one or two antennas in a business application. So this is what the
Rohn catalog has chosen to show to allow the largest group of potential
customers to select what will probably work for them. The standardized designs
are also specified to be the most economical for the specified wind speed
antenna height and antenna load.

The typical ham application has about 6 antenna and fourteen feedlines and
wires hanging from it, and some of the antennas have 20 - 30 foot booms on
them. Long booms are not generally found in the commercial world, unless it is
HF or military. This is a significantly different application than getting a
small antenna up high as cheaply as possible. Different design requirements
direct you to take different approaches. Lots of antennas point me to shorter
towers and heavier guys on those towers.

I would never think of using rohn 25 in 190 foot ham installation. It is a
matter of finding a good balance.

There are only about 500 ways to guy a given tower at a given height. Rohn has
chosen to show one that fits the larger customer base, unfortunately the chosen

Tower engineering is not that complicated, you just need to do a little
research and thinking about it.

Steven H Sawyers PE (n0yvy)
ARRL Volunteer Consulting Engineer and Life Member