[TowerTalk] lining up guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] lining up guys
From: w9ol@dataflo.net (Bill)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 07:04:36 -0500
This is from a former contractor who did major work in Chicagoland.
I did a lot of layout and used this system on previous tower installations.
Cheap and accurate.

Get one of those cheap laser level/pointers.

Get two 1/2 boards about 3' long.
Place them parallel to each other and camp them with wood spacers equal to
the diameter of a tower leg.
This will look like:

-----------------
-------

Slide the gapped part from one tower leg through to the other side.
Lay your laser/pointer on the spacer. (beam pointing away from the tower) HI

REMEMBER: DO NOT LOOK INTO LASER BEAM WITH REMAINING GOOD EYE!!!!

Take a stick high enough to receive the laser spot and when you have the
spot on the stick, pound it in the ground.
Use a tape measure from tower to make all three/four sticks equal in length.
This is a lot easier and less bother than a transit or using strings,
especially if there is bushes/trees in the area.

I've done this a couple of times and it's REAL quick and accurate.