[TowerTalk] TIC Installation Advice Requested

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TIC Installation Advice Requested
From: kl7ra@ptialaska.net (kl7ra)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 05:32:26 -0800
Hi Mark

This rotator is not plug and play but worth the effort.
A few more notes:
Per the instructions I pre-assembled the unit and then took enough apart
to transfer it to the tower. I used a spare section of 45 in my garage
and built it within reach of my tools and work bench. As reported I had
to "fineness" in the alignment. Tower installation went smooth and a pretty
heavy load spun like a top. However, when I went to install the motor the
holes were out of alignment as I had shifted the ring the wrong direction
on the tower. It was not made clear this is possible in the directions
(may now) and I had a 50/50 shot of getting it wrong.

During the WPX99 contest the ring jumped the track. I didn't think it was
possible and was surprised to see it after climbing the tower and
inspecting
the failure. It was caused by the antenna controller sending the antenna in
another direction before coast down. They sent me a new PROM to prevent
this
from happening as telling operators to allow coast down doesn't work. I
also
have the new hold down guides that fix this problem on the rotator side.

I just finished installing a more conventional sidemount using angle iron,
rotor plate, thrust bearing, and TailTwister. I made as many trips up and
down the tower as I did with the TIC if not more. When you start adding it
all up plus wielding pipe, the TIC doesn't look that bad.

Dropping below freezing now at night. Aurora overhead horizon to horizon.
Swell place to live.

Rich  KL7RA