[TowerTalk] Tower removal

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower removal
From: w9ol@dataflo.net (Bill Heinzinger)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 12:11:08 -0500
>       Before you do anything, check all the ground-level hardware. Pull
and
> push on things during your visual inspection to see if you can spot any
> potential problems.
>
>       And if there's any doubt - walk away. I've walked away from several
> jobs over the years and have never regretted it. If you really need to get
it
> down, either call in the professionals or bring in a piece of equipment
like
> a crane or boomtruck - that way at least you won't be climbing on it.

I've had two of these dubious condition removals.
A 40 and a 60 footer.

In both cases I opter to not climb the tower.
I erected pipe scaffolding around the tower. As a contractor I had it.
This way all my weight was supported by the scaffolding and not dependent on
the tower staying erect.
This also allowed me to install some temporary guy wires on the 60 footer
very easily.

For anyone who want a large safe working platform while installing antennas
etc. you can rent scaffold like this, delivered or installed in almost any
metropolitan area.

If all the veins in your body were laid end-to-end, you'd be dead.
Bill

homepage at
http://www.dataflo.net/~w9ol