[TowerTalk] KT-34XA Vs Modern Designs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KT-34XA Vs Modern Designs
From: aa6eg@hh.tmx.com (Pat Barthelow)
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 20:57:22 -0700 (PDT)

We've been toiling qite a lot to get our used KT-34XA weatherized, and
ready for putting up at N6IJ.  WHAT A JOB!  And even at best, with all the
joints greased and tightened, I don't hold much hope for a long life at
our QTH, 1.2 miles from the Pacific.   I was wondering, if there was
consensus about rough equivelency of the KT 34 to modern computer
designed, trapless (or nearly so) beams...I know it has been discussed, in
the recent past, and someone dared compare it to MUCH smaller boom
modern beams....Someone replied that they were not in the same
league...with Boom length being the major factor, and supposedly making
the KT34XA far superior, but others saying not so fast....

Anybody have any theoretical, or practical real world  observations of the
KT 34XA vs some of the smaller, newer beams?

This message may stir a large number of replies, so if you want to
minimize clutter on TT, you can reply to me, and I will post summaries....
Thanks....

73, DX, de
Pat, AA6EG/N6IJ;
aa6eg@hh.tmx.com;n6ij@hotmail.com
599 DX Drive, Marina CA 93933
See us on the web: www.polkinghorn.org/n6ij
"The Contest Station from the Government"