[TowerTalk] sharing radials

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] sharing radials
From: Dinsterdog@aol.com (Dinsterdog@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 17:15:09 EDT
Greetings- Another rookie question.....

I have a 160 mtr Inv L that I have ran up 55 feet supported off the side of
my tower using 4 foot stand offs ....the top of the 60 foot tower supports a
6 ele log periodic.....

I have 90 1/4 wave radials at the bottom of the Inv L but I dont tie the
ground radials to the tower-  the tower is grounded on it's own ground rod
and the radials of the Inv L are grounded to a separate ground rod-

I am thinking about putting up a 1/4 wave sloper off my tower- The antenna is
fed at the top of the tower...the feedline ground braid is clamped on the
tower using a hose clamp at the top of the tower and the center conductor is
tied to the antenna- easy so far, eh?

but in order to be effective- the 1/4 wave sloper it needs an extensive
radial system- and the tower is suppose to tie into a good radial system
below Ahhhhh!  The radial system of the Inv L looks good- so why not just run
a ground strap from the bottom of the tower to the Inv L's ground radial
system centered a couple of feet away???.....

Will this screw things up for the 160 meter Inv L????  after all, I am adding
a tower to the existing radial system.......Is it possible for two different
wire antennas, off the same tower, to use the same radial system????

any responses would be appreciated-  73 Paul  N0AH