[TowerTalk] Self-Alignment of Tower Mast, Rotor and Thrust Bearing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Self-Alignment of Tower Mast, Rotor and Thrust Bearing
From: millscl@msx.upmc.edu (Mills, Chuck)
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:39:09 -0400
Hi all...I'm putting up my first tower and am in the final adjustment stage.
My last problem to overcome is aligning the mast dead center in the thrust
bearing and the rotor on the rotor tray.

I could use some advice.  Here is some background:

Tower is a Glenn Martin RT-424 and a Cushcraft A3S.  Still binds up and
won't do a complete 360 without help (i.e. me up on the roof pushing it as
it binds).

What was suggested (by the guy I bought the rotor from) was this:

o - Keep thrust bearing set screws tight and holding weight of mast and
antenna.
o - Keep rotor to mast plate tight so it will spin the beam.
o - Loosen the 4 bolts that hold the rotor to the rotor shelf.
o - Spin the rotor around 360 from due south to due south and then back
around 180 degrees to due
     North.
o - Immediate tighten down the 4 bolts and then rotate it arund a few more
times to check the
     alignment.  If no wind gusts knock it out of kilter during the spin or
before I get the bolts tightened,
     this will most probably self align it as the rotor "moves" itself into
a good position for unrestricted
     movement.

What does everyone think of this methodology?  This is my first tower and
beam of any kind so any help would be appreciated.  If my reasoning isn't
sound, what is the best way of aligning the mast to allow it to spin freely?

Thanks es 73,
Chuck / W3YNI