[TowerTalk] Re: shorting straps on KLM KT34XA and otherrebuild recommend

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: shorting straps on KLM KT34XA and otherrebuild recommendations from K3MM
From: ka4inm@gate.net (Ron Youvan)
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 01:49:30 +0000
> << I've rebuilt 3 KT34XA's so far (hopefully no more...please!), and my
> recommendation is to use #6 or #8 sheet metal screws through all the clips
> joints except for the cap tube.  There, use new, thicker straps you can get
> from
> KLM or make your own.  >>

Hi:  I have never had my KT34A higher than about 12 feet, it was detuned by
orange trees and the metal eve on the garage.  (tests) It is in storage.
    1.  Every hole you drill in tubing weakens it.  In a high vibration
application
I would rather not `drill' if I can find any better way.  Air-e-o-planes are
aluminum and full of holes, but they aren't mostly tubing.
 {I am not a sheet metal man, but I am not a stranger to it, I took `sheet metal
shop 3 years in school, I didn't want to take it, it was all that wasn't full,
so I
was stuck there, I enjoyed reveting and soldering though.}
    2.  Did every one of these antennas last over a year without any problems?
 This antenna has NOT done that well so far.
I plan a annual PM on the entire (now proposed ) tower, including bringing
my beam to the ground, I wish for the clamps and bands to be `good for another
year' when I do it. (It will be up 104')
I will refresh, remove and replace all anti-Ox. when I do.  I expect to replace
the
blue caps when they show signs of deterioration, I don't know how often that
will be. (lots of UV in central Florida, and bunch of heat)

  I do not know what I will use to replace the old straps or of I will be able
find a better way to secure the connections using the original straps.  The
shims
and other `fixes' that were tried to make this antenna work must go.  I thought
might cut up the super sized bands (1/2" wide and 3 or 4' long) that I have seen
in auto parts stores etc.  for the material by cutting it into 2 or 3 pieces of
suitable length (10 - 14" each) with the ends bent around to allow the  `hose
bands' to be at the correct angle (perpendicular to the tubing)  This `bending
the
ends,' forming the connections is what I haven't worked out yet. Perhaps I need
have a little  piece (across the end) welded (spot or other) to the ends and put
two hose bands, one on each on each side of the clamp.
  This group (& list) is what I need to (help me) kick around ideas until WE
find
an idea so good KLM starts making them our new way.
  I bought this 3 or so years old antenna for $100 (they offered it to me for
50 or
75 dollars, but I wanted to help them) from a local club that had `had it' with
it.  It just wouldn't keep running. Other than several blown BALUNS the straps
would not stay tight. (they replaced everything several times hoping to cure
it's
ills. (they shot-gunned it!)
 It is the `high wind) two piece boom version. Tampa Florida area.

  73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@qsl.net
VISIT my HAM WEB SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm
  using LINUX here & loving it!