[TowerTalk] Alliance HD73 Rotor-what lube?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Alliance HD73 Rotor-what lube?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:26:06 EDT
In a message dated 99-10-08 08:13:07 EDT, kutzko@nn.com writes:

> This is my first post to the list, so I apologize if this is deemed off
>  topic.

HI, Sean --

       Long time no see. No, you're not 'off topic'. TowerTalk is devoted to
tower and HF antenna topics.

>  I have an Alliance HD73 rotor that is freezing up during the colder winter
>  months. I don't have that much stacked on it. I'm going to be taking it
down
>  for a once-over and a lube job. What is the best kind of lube to use for
>  this application? I know it hasn't been lubed for several years, so it's
>  certainly in need of one.

      You need a low-temp grease; I have seem snowmobile grease recommended.
Hy-Gain uses a low-temp grease but I don't know what flavor it is
specifically.

      A simple fix is to wrap your rotor with a length of 'heater tape'. I'm
not sure what the proper name is but it's the stuff you can wrap around your
pipes and it plugs into an extension cord. My prop pitch used to freeze up so
I wrapped the motor with a length of pipe heater and it's operational in
about 5 minutes. Just plug it in when you need it. Usual cautions about
running power up a tower.

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC

PS - Enjoy reading your column in the NCJ.