[TowerTalk] I: Force 12 C4 - minimum SWR 2!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] I: Force 12 C4 - minimum SWR 2!
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 09:30:07 -1000
Aloha Ian,  you wrote,  in part:

>  Hi om,
>  today I have mounted my new Force 12 C4 on the tower.
>  The tower is 40 feet high from the roof, that is about another 40 feet
from
> the ground.

My C4 is about 60 feet above the ground.  Here are my
measurements of vswr,  here in the shack at the end of
my two coax runs:

40 Meter Dipole element:

7000......1.2:1
7032......1.5:1
and it goes on higheer to 7300 where swr is 7.9:1 !!
I use an antenna tuner,  of course.  I probably did not
space/set the hairpin matching coil correctly at the
feed point.  Also,  I use an F12 B-1 balun.

20 Meters

14005.....1.3:1
14050.....1.2:1
14100.....1.1:1
14195.....1.2:1
14300.....1.4:1
15 Meters

21100.....1.1:1
21200.....1.3:1
21300.....2.0:1

10 Meters

28010......2.4:1
28300......1.3:1
28400......1.1:1
28500......1.0:1
29000......1.3:1 (where I can work AM stations)
29470...... reaches 2.0:1

The holes I selected for the rivets were always
the center holes,  so that got me well above the CW area
on 10 meters,  but again,  can use a tuner for that area.

Are you sure you used 50 ohm coax ?  Did you use an
F12 B-1 balun at both antenna feed points,  I did,  don't
know if that would make a difference.  Most probable
cause I can think of would be the wrong coax type,
but that is an unlikely error,  hi.

Anyhow,  that is my info,  Ian.  SWRs check out with
both my MFJ-259B analyzer and the meter on my
FT-1000.

73,  Jim,  KH7M
On the Garden Island of Kauai