[TowerTalk] Tower questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower questions
From: k4wa@nuc.net (Steven R. Schmidt)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 15:49:56 -0500
Of course, what else?  I have a couple questions that I'm sure the august
body subscribed to this list can help me with.  I respectfully appeal for
help in the following areas:

First, I have an old Easyway HD 41 crank-up, tilt-over tower for which I
just poured a fancy little concrete footing to stop it from moving a bit in
the sandy soil.  The other day, while cranking it back up, I noticed the
gear teeth seemed to be wearing.  I checked the gears and found the gear
connected to the crank handle had bent teeth, which was wearing the teeth in
the gear for the cable spindle.  I like the tower's versatility (the ability
to crank it down in high winds, and to tilt it over to easily remove the
antennas in the event of a hurricane), and I just spent a significant amount
of time beefing it up for the sandy soils and high winds found in this
locale; I hate to scrap it.  Are there any sources for gear replacements
that you know of?

Second, in the event I have to scrap it, I have found a fellow offering to
sell some sections of used Rohn 25, a half section for a base, and a top
section with  rotor plate.  What's a good price for used Rohn 25?  And where
do I find a good source of information on engineering a Rohn 25 installation
in sandy soil in the hurricane-prone Gulf Coast?

I appreciate any help.

73,

Steve  K4WA