[TowerTalk] Hygain

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hygain
From: N0OEL@aol.com (N0OEL@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 23:36:42 EDT
I dont think that Hygain was going belly up (as someone stated) when it was
sold.
Simply, Telex backed off the amateur products line a few years ago when it
was
not contributing to the bottom line of the large electronics company.   And
if it
isnt producting "we get rid of it" was the Telex cry that went through
compnay.
It was a hard decision for many as they had developed the line for so many
years.
But Telex let it " twist in the wind"  with no support till it could be sold!

One thing for sure, the Hygain people had almost no money for marketing or
advertising the last few years and out of desperation started dealing direct.
  It was
a bad news item for many dealers as the line did still have business even
though
the developement of new antennas had slowed in favor of developement of the
commercial lines where they still had a foot hold on some business.    And who
can blame them?   Lets hope that MFJ marketing and manufacturing will give it
its due and keep the line alive with new products and enthusiastic marketing.
Note:   MFJ generally keeps up the quality of the lines they buy to the level
of what
they were before they bought them.   But, they werent belly up.   Telex simply
let the line lag till it could be sold.    And they are not the only antenna
company
that has done that in recent years.

As to where the action is for different license classes ladies and gentlemen,
that
could all change as we head into 2000 when the FCC will likely permit
automatic upgrades for Tech Plus class ticket holders to General and a 5 wpm
General Class.
Then watch the demand low band antennas soar!!!

One thing for sure.    Times they are a-changin!

73
Mike
K0BUD