[TowerTalk] Load information?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Load information?
From: k4wa@nuc.net (Steven R. Schmidt)
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 15:20:19 -0600
I've just acquired enough Rohn 25G to consider putting up a 75' (or so)
guyed tower.  While waiting for my Rohn catalog to get here, I downloaded
some information off the Rohn site.  Ideally, I'd like to put up a 40-2CD,
but I'm not sure it makes sense here just nine miles from the Gulf of
Mexico.  Looking at Rohn's 110 mph guy and load specs (though surely the
beam wouldn't survive that wind), I saw two numbers for load at top, "round"
or "flat."  Call me stupid, but what does "round" and "flat" refer to?
Which category does the 40-2CD fall into?  It makes a difference, since the
antenna is rated at 6.38 sq.. ft.  And am I being optimistic thinking a
40-2CD will work in a hurricane-prone area (even though we were lucky this
year), or am I throwing my money to the wind?

Also, my used tower sections come in two sizes; I have five 10' sections,
and three 7' sections.  Is there any magic in how I stack these differing
sizes, i.e., 10 footers first, then sevens, or does it not matter?

My first effort to install a "real" tower, as opposed to an old, small
crank-up, so I apologize for my lack of experience.

73,

Steve  K4WA