[TowerTalk] W2DU balun breakage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] W2DU balun breakage
From: n8ug@juno.com (n8ug@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 08:21:48 -0600
We're rather proud of our p/n 823 that we've made for years, and it's
made to last for years. The internal design is such that any feed line
connected to it would destruct well before balun damage would ensue, and,
the vitals are potted with a non-shrink 50 KV dielectric - they will not
leak, even if the SS hardware is unscrewed.
On the other hand PL259's or "N's" were not made to support 100 ft of
RG213 or the like. This is just common sense. A simple clamp around our
823's body or from the same point that supports the balun  will supply an
anchor point for a "Kellem" grip a foot or so below the balun that will
remove all of the stress from the connector in the case of a long, heavy,
feedline.
As for the pigtails from baluns such as our p/n 827 beam model - they are
not made to be subject to continuous bending or to support anything -
proper installation of the device is again the key. Coating the
termination and tbe short pigtail with silicone sealer easily ensures the
necessary stability.
 Also, the (acetic acid" type is just fine - any minor conductivity or
corrosion potential is gone overnight. 99% of the "hype" on this subject
is unfounded.

We invite y'all to check 'em out on the website - images are now active
so you can see what they look like.
73,

Press Jones, N8UG, The Wireman, Inc., Landrum, SC, 29356
Sales (800)727-WIRE(9473) or  orders@thewireman.com
Tech help (864)895-4195 or  n8ug@thewireman.com
http://www.thewireman.com  and the WIRELINE news
and bargain page.  Our 22nd year!