[TowerTalk] Rohn 25 guy radius oddness.. 80% vs 50%?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 guy radius oddness.. 80% vs 50%?
From: Hank.Lonberg@Harrisgrp.com (Lonberg, Hank)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 07:46:12 -0800
List readers:

Actually you can put the guys where you want within reason. You just have to
account for the increased force developed in the guy as you move the anchor
point closer to the tower base. If you increase the distance from the 80%
point the force developed in the guy gets smaller. In each case the vertical
component either gets larger or smaller since the horizontal component
equals the horizontal force acting on the guy. (See the attached *.gif from
my Wind Load presentation).

In the case of going from 80% to 50% the force in the guy increases by a
factor of 1.4 over the 80% force and the vertical component in the tower
from the guy increases by a factor of 1.6 over the 80% force. So if you
account for these load increases in the tower and its foundation for
allowable compression load and in the guy for the increased tension load
then you should be ok.

Remember when straying from the manufacturer's recommendations you are on
your own or get professional help.

73      Hank

Hank Lonberg, P.E. /  KR7X
Beaverton, OR  USA
Kr7x@arrl.net <mailto:Kr7x@arrl.net>
Hank.Lonberg@harrisgrp.com <mailto:Hank.Lonberg@harrisgrp.com>

Team Pantelleria - IH9P - African Italy - CQWW DX SSB
http://www.qsl.net/ih9p/
<http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/eudora/126/ih9p.html>