[TowerTalk] She's Comin' Down! No.. its not...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] She's Comin' Down! No.. its not...
From: n9isn@arrl.net (Allan W. Schlaugat)
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 23:23:29 -0600
On Sun, 21 Nov 1999 21:58:50 -0700, "Gary McDuffie, Sr."
<mcduffie@scottsbluff.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Nov 1999 21:23:57 -0600, Allan W. Schlaugat wrote:
>
>> Yes, it was water freezing in the tower leg. 33 feet off the ground!
>> Go figure! Apparently there was a hornet/yellow jacket infestation and
>> they used mud to build their 'home'. With the aid of the tower bolts
>> at one of the joints and that dammed up the debris enough that the
>> water couldn't pass.
>
>But how did they get 150 feet down into the tower leg?  I would assume
>the leg was plugged at the top.  But even if it wasn't, that seems like
>a long way down for them to set up housekeeping.
>
>Gary

My theory is that the nest/obstruction was made while the sections
were stacked on the ground waiting to be installed. The top of the
tower is a tapered section; no open top.
IOW, it was my fault for not checking the sections to make sure they
were completely clear of debris as I passed them up to the tower
installer. While I did make sure I could see light when I looked down
each leg, there may of been mud and debris caked on the insides of the
leg or I may of forgot to look down this one leg and it was the one
plugged up.

Since we have had many sub 20 degree nights here so far, if there were
any other plugged up legs, those haven't burst yet. My feeling is that
we got the rogue plugged leg and the rest will be fine.

73   Al   N9ISN

--
Allan W. Schlaugat       * APS #186089 *            Albertville, WI  USA
Amateur Radio: N9ISN  * Member of the Lumber Cartel (tinlc) Member #1390

#33#33#33  WISCONSIN BADGERS 1999 Big Ten Football Champions  #33#33#33