[TowerTalk] TYEN-TEC OMINI VI

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TYEN-TEC OMINI VI
From: kh7m@hsa-kauai.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 10:01:18 -1000

> I've got a Kenwood TS870 and TS950SDX.
> I'm planning to replace it by TEN-TEC OMINI VI.

Aloha Ivan,

I sold my 950SDX and bought the Omni VI+.
Use the Omni for CW primarily.  Neither the
Omni nor the 950SDX do I find as easy to
operate DX as with the Yaesu FT1000D.
The Omni does not have a separate
sub-rcvr,  so you cannot hear,  simultaneously
both the DX station and to monitor the frequency
where you believe the DX is listening and where
you would be going to transmit.  That is,  you
cannot simultaneously recv and listen to both
VFO A and VFO B frequencies at the same
moment.   As I recall,  you can do that with the
950SDX.

Also,  to
listen to the VFO B frequency using the Omni,
you press a button,  and must hold it while
listening,  then  release to transmit on VFO
B, and back to listening to the DX transmit
frequency.  And to tune VFO B while operating
split,  you also must hold this button while
turning the tuning knob.

The Omni has excellent built in DSP which helps
a lot on CW,  and also usually with an SSB signal.

Just depends upon what you believe you will be
doing with the rigs.  I do not find the Omni able
to "hear"  any weaker signals than I can with
the FT-1000D;  the rigs sit here side by side.
I believe the old Ten Tec Triton 544 is actually
quieter on rcv,  and perhaps could "hear"
a weaker signal,  but I am not concerned with
a lot of very weak signals,  unless I must to
read the very far away DX,  hi.

Good luck and 73,  Jim,  KH7M
On the Garden Island of Kauai