[TowerTalk] Rohn 25G/45G Quality Update

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G/45G Quality Update
From: w4qa@charlotte.infi.net (Rush Johnson)
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 05:54:26 -0500
I had the chance to speak with the CEO of Rohn last week (Brian
Pemberton) as well as Richard Rohn regarding the problems many of us
have experienced with the G series towers over the last year or so.
Both gentlemen were quite concerned that this problem existed to begin
with and assured me that steps had been taken to rectify the situation.

A couple of points that Richard made (and he asked me to pass on...) re:
these issues.  First of all, he acknowledged that they had a quality
problem up until recently with "some" of the  G series towers due to a
couple of things: 1) Jigs were misaligned and would not "hold" their
alignment properly, 2) a particular welder (no longer with Rohn) was
basically incompetent.  They also no longer ship sections using their
own trucks and have lost some control over the proper handling of
sections when being delivered.

Although these situations have apparently been rectified, Richard said
that some stock in distributors' warehouses may still be defective, and
he was not confident that the all the distributors would actually take
the time to inspect their previously ordered sections. (Although he was
going to be sending a letter out to distributors informing them of the
situation.)  I would suggest that you very carefully inspect any
sections that you purchase before accepting delivery.  Moving forward,
Rohn assured me that QC efforts are being redoubled on the G series.

When asked what customers should do regarding existing problems, Richard
told me to work with Dana Lemmerman who has been advised to handle these
situations.  If that doesn't work, Richard Rohn will take the call
himself.  (**Their e-mail addresses and telephone numbers are on the
Rohn website: Dana is at the HQ facility, while Richard is in the
Birmingham, AL facility)

Regards,

Rush Johnson -- W4QA