[TowerTalk]ROHN SPECIFICATIONS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk]ROHN SPECIFICATIONS
From: K7NV@contesting.com (Kurt Andress)
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 12:36:28 -0800
Happy Holidays Everyone,

I think Tom's (N4KG) comments regarding the newer Rohn configurations
being inferior to the previous ones are right on target.
The only reasons for using a configuration with a cantilevered top tower
section would be to gain more antenna separation than available on the
mast alone and/or have independently rotating antennas near the top.
This approach certainly doesn't come without its cost of reduced antenna
This type of configuration, for mast mounted antennas, cannot carry as
much load as one with the top guy set connected to the tower top.

In the example presented, where the bending moment in the tower at the
top guy point was 7440 Ft-Lbs, this is probably not going to fail the
section. In the older catalogues, the 45G section is rated for 9610
Ft-Lbs.
In the newer designs, the max allowable combined stress is 50 ksi. This
would translate to 37.6 ksi allowable for any single load case. At 7440
Ft-Lbs, the stress just due to bending would be 21.5 ksi, to that we
would add stress due to shear and compression, which are quite low near
the top.

If the tower is buried in the footing, the problem is going to be at the
base. The cantilevered top configuration creates higher loads on the top
guys, resulting in higher elongation, which makes the tower lean over
more. This creates higher bending stress at the base.
This can be seen in the examples on my website.

I find the failure Tom cited very interesting (we get to to hear so
little about them!) and wanted to look into it to see what might be
learned.
We never get enough information to really make sense out of them.
Since, conjecture is the prevalent method of evaluating these
occurences, I thought it would be fun to exercise, my crystal ball, to
see what might be supposed.

>From the description, I gather that this is a 130' 45G tower, for a
basic wind speed of 90 Mph. This is because this tower has the top guys
9' below the top of tower. The Rohn 70 Mph & 110 Mph towers place the
top guys 5' below tower top.

Note:
BTW, there is a typo error on the 70 Mph 60' tower configuration. It
says to place the single guy at 45'. It should read 55'. Anyone out
there think a 60' tower with only one set of guys is the best way to
maximize the amount of antennae you can put on it?

Furthermore, I'll assume that it is configured just like the book, 1 set
of 1/4" EHS guys at 121' and 3/16" EHS guys at 78' and 35'.
Tom can correct this if my assumptions are wrong.

It is hard to say what the actual top plate load case was, as there is
not enough information. There was certainly the lateral load from the
plate supporting the mast. If the bearing was a Rohn TB type, there is
the likelyhood that the plate was also bending, because this type of
bearing does not absorb axial deflections like the industrial pillow
block bearings can. It may have been a fatigue failure.
The BPL45G top plate should be good to something like 5-6 times the
rated load in pure shear. Actually, the weak link, in simple shear,
should have been the 45G legs at about 4 times the rated load.

A guy bracket, just below the top, would not have changed the loads on
the top plate. Having the top guys connected to the ears on the top
plate would have helped. It may not have prevented the failure, but
might have kept the stuff on the tower for emergency removal.

The Rohn 90 Mph 130 Ft design says that the tower can carry 12.3 SqFt of
antennas that are made from tubing, and the load is applied exactly at
the top of the tower.

Using EIA-222-F methodology, this load is 518 Lbs. The highest lateral
load of all the 45G designs is 610 Lb on the 70 Mph 40 Ft tower. This
should be chump change for for the BPL45G top plate.

Now let's look at what was reported to be on the tower...

Tom reports that there was a Force 12 6 El 20. I looked at the Force 12
website and could only find one 6 El 20. The Magnum 620, which is
reported to have 9.1 SqFt of area. But, maybe this is a special design,
so we'll use the 8.3 SqFt cited.

The other antenna was a 2 El 40 / 2 El 80. The only 40/80 combined
antenna I found was the Magnum 2/2, listed at 14 SqFt. Maybe the actual
antenna was 80 only, and didn't have the switching gear, so we'll still
call it 13 SqFt.

So, if we take the 6 El 20 @ 8.3 SqFt and the 20/40 @ 13 SqFt we see
that there was 21.3 SqFt of antenna on the tower, right?
That's only 73% more area than the tower was rated for, right?

We need to be mindful of a few previous discussions on TT.
The EIA spec, and hence the Rohn designs, are predicated on the antenna
areas being supplied as what is commonly called the "projected area."
This also applys to crankup designs performed to UBC code.
The Force 12 figures are "effective areas", which are calculated by
multiplying the "projected area" * 2/3.
To get to the antenna areas we need to evaluate the tower, we need to
multiply the factory figures by 1.5 (1/.66).

This has been confirmed by other TT participants. Contrary to popular
belief, It's not just my own delusion.

So, in "Rohn (EIA-222) lingo", this tower actually had something like 32
SqFt of antenna on it.

That's 260% over the rating for my assumed configuration, and does not
account for the antennas being mast mounted above the tower, which will
significantly increase the tower loads.
I didn't attempt an analysis of the actual situation. That effort would
have required far too much assumption on my part.

I swore off talking about this anymore, but this is just such an
excellent example, I couldn't keep my mouth shut.

This is still a gigantic problem, that just goes to sleep every time I
bring it up. People are taking published antenna area figures, that are
incorrect (or at least are not known to be correct) for tower
evaluation, and applying them to their towers. I expect we will have
some more of these discussions, when anyone has the moxy to step forth
to report their failures.

Tom's cited tower failure might be a good example of how far not to go
when overloading a tower.

It is certainly a good data point for the bold experimenter, but we
still don't know what the wind exposure and history was at this site.
Everyone that plans to overload their towers, please install
anemometers, so we can have more meaningful information! Anemometer
builders, please provide fastest mile wind speed calculations, so we can
directly use the information.

I still agree with Tom that the current Rohn designs are far from the
best solution for most of our types of applications. In my mind, that is
an entirely different matter, than the cited failure.

I'm just not so sure we can pin the blame for this failure on Rohn.

Remember, when we step outside the box, we take matters into our own
hands!

I wonder how much this experiment cost, and whether it wouldn't have
been more cost effective to have someone design a tower configuration to
fit the antennae?

Y'all have fun with it!

--
73, Kurt, K7NV

Father Physics & Mother Nature control our world, the rest of us are
either passengers or students!

YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress/

---Original Text---