[TowerTalk] weaken a mast by drilling?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] weaken a mast by drilling?
From: w9ol@billnjudy.com (Bill)
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 09:15:28 -0600
Using a Wilson rotating tower. My 24 ft. chrome moly mast extends out of
the top section 10 feet.
The mast is held by only two bolts in the tube at the top section of the
tower.
I worry that those two bolts serving as 'set screws' may not be
sufficient.
How much would drilling a hole through and placing a pin weaken the
mast.

Or should I stick with my present safety of a 2" muffler clamp with
saddle around the mast at the top of the tower tube?

I'm Retired...But I Work Part-Time as a Pain In The Ass

Bill H. in Chicagoland
w9ol@billnjudy.com   FireBrick@telocity.com   w9ol@telocity.com