[TowerTalk] RX input impedance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RX input impedance
From: Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 06:38:45 -0800
Ford,

Unless your system noise is limited by your receivers internal thermal
noise floor (usually not the case on 160 meters), the mismatch loss caused
by the 220 ohm termination will probably be inconsequential. You can check
for this by listening to the noise floor with and without your antenna
connected.
If on the quietest night of the year, your noise floor still drops when you
disconnect your most inefficient receive antenna, you have nothing to worry
about (this indicates that atmospheric noise dominates in your receive system).

Do you have a schematic of the front end circuit? That may give you some
clues as to whether 220 ohms is expected by design, or if perhaps something
is broken or mistuned.

73 de Mike,  W4EF....................