[TowerTalk] precipitation static & folded verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] precipitation static & folded verticals
From: Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:10:18 -0800
Ed,

What kind of noise dominates your noise floor on 40 meters. Are you limited
by power line noise or other man made noise (light dimmers, TV horizontal
sweep noise, computer hash), or a you mainly hearing skywave noise (white hiss
and thunderstorm crashes)? Your test data suggests a 3 S unit S/N difference
of between two omindirectional antennas under both daytime and nightime
band conditions? That doesn't seem physically possible unless you have some
kind of range effects (power line coupling that favors one antenna over the
other), or a near field noise source that due to proximity couples into one
antenna better than the other.