[TowerTalk] 2 vs 3 ele 40m yagi - opinions?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 2 vs 3 ele 40m yagi - opinions?
From: n7us@arrl.net (Jim McDonald)
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 21:10:31 -0700
My experience with the F-12 EF-340D, the predecessor to the MAG-340, seems
to have been better.  The original boom/mast bracket broke, much like the
picture in QST (February?).  I should have checked before it broke apart,
but the boom guys held it.  Had lots of wind in Albuquerque but that bracket
was the only failure.  The "D" model is rated at 100 mph rather than the
standard 80 mph, and the "H" model is rated at 120 mph.  F-12 even has an
"HH" model in the catalog for 140 mph.  The higher wind ratings appear to be
available for most antennas according to the catalog.

I just replaced the bracket with the new Mangum one, and it's about three
times the size and significantly thicker.  I asked for whatever it takes to
make it into a MAG340 and got new linear loading wire (seemed to be the
same), the beefy bracket, and new fiberglass spreaders (with crimped
aluminum center tubes) to support the linear loading wires.  Will put in up
near Phoenix near some mountains so we have quite a bit of wind, and I'm
comfortable with it.

Jim N7US