[TowerTalk] Radial lengths for verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Radial lengths for verticals
From: kq2m@mags.net (Robert Shohet)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:08:50 -0500
 Gentlemen,

 I know that using PVC coated wire often increases the effective length (and
lowers freq.) of a given wire antenna by about 2 - 3%.   Should I assume
that this is the same for
1/4 wave radials as well?

 Or put another way....

 If the length of a 1/4 wave radial @ 1.825 is 128.22' (234'1.825), should
the radials be cut for about 125' instead?

What would happen (if anything) if the radials are 3' too long?

What would happen if the radials were a combination of say, gauge 20 and
gauge 12 wire?   Do the radials for each "leg" all need to be the same wire
diameter?  Would it mess up the crrrent flow it they were different?

Your thoughts please...

Tnx & 73

 Bob KQ2M