[TowerTalk] Orion rotator reed switch failures

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Orion rotator reed switch failures
From: wa4bpj@nina.pagesz.net (Mike Murphy)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:33:10 -0500
Larry,
I can only speak to question 1. It sounds like your reed switch is being
damaged by arcing when there is a near lightning strike. That's not
unusual given the length of rotor cable and the relatively low breakdown
voltage of reed switches (just a few hundred volts). That being the case,
you should get excellent protection by paralleling a suitable varistor
(MOV) across your switch(s). You want a part whose standoff voltage is
higher than the normal open circuit voltage found across the switch  but
whose clamp voltage is lower than the breakdown voltage of the switch.
A suitable part could be Digikey P7240-ND (Panasonic ERZ-V05D101)
or Digikey P7252-ND (Panasonic ERZ-V10D101) which is physically a
little larger but can disipate much more energy. These selections are
made on the assumption that your switch open circuit voltage is well
below 100 volts.

73,
Mike, WA4BPJ