[TowerTalk] W3LPL vs. K3LR: ARRL DX CW 40m

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] W3LPL vs. K3LR: ARRL DX CW 40m
From: heatwole@clark.net (Nat Heatwole)
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 11:14:01 -0500
Looking over all of the preliminary score reports posted on 3830 I have
found the following numbers to be true on 40m:

Station:        QSO's:        Mults:
--------------------------------
K3LR          1595          119
W3LPL        1668         123

Using these numbers W3LPL has an advantage of 73 QSO's and 4 mults on 40m
during this past weekend's ARRL DX CW contest. Also, using the contest
station database I have found the following:

Station:        Set-Up:
K3LR         4/4 Full Sized at 190/100',    2 Element at 140'
W3LPL      3/3 Full Sized at 200/100'

Now, assume for a minute that K3LR's top 40m yagi is at 200'. Comparing the
two of them W3LPL appear to have the advantage using only 3 element yagis (a
total of 2 fewer elements) and no additional 2 element yagi. How can this
be? I would think that K3LR would have an initial advantage on 40m being
slightly closer to EU then W3LPL. Does W3LPL usually beat K3LR on 40m, or is
this some type of fluke? Could it be possible that a stack of 3 element
yagis is actually BETTER then a stack of 4 element yagis on 40m?

73, Nat, WZ3AR
<heatwole@clark.net>
Damascus, Maryland