[TowerTalk] Coax Rating

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax Rating
From: w2cs@ipass.net (Gary J. Ferdinand W2CS)
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 14:10:54 -0500
Hi Mauri,

You know, next time I'm in Italy (this summer), you and I ought to sit down
with some wine and cheese and have a coax dual <grin>!

Like you and others, I've successfully used RG8X for years on 80 and 40 with
moderately high power.

Other the other hand, perhaps I bought some cheap RG8X at some point,
because it certainly did develop shorts.  I found myself cutting the line in
half, then in half again, etc. till I found them. I've always presumed it
was voltage breakdown, not heat, since I've always kept the SWR low, but who
knows, I might have loaded it up on an odd band at some point.  But on high
power, I think not.  Possibly just a bad batch of coax.   Interestingly, it
did not fail at points where it was bent, but rather right in the middle of
a straight stretch.

It's like everything else we do as hams..make do with what we've got.  If
what we have is RG8X, we use it, myself included.  But, I find myself
considering alternatives when starting from scratch with new antenna
projects.

Great discussion, though.  Forced me to dive back into the Handbook and
other manuals.  Thanks!

73,

Gary W2CS