[TowerTalk] Tower Repair

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Repair
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:32:13 EST
> snip...Result is that one of the tower legs is doglegged /
> bent quite noticeably, like mebbe 2" inside tower from vertical ... bend is
> just a few inches above the top of the concrete base in which the tower
> sits....snip..
> > de Dave nc7w >>

Interesting to see the variety of opinions on fixing that bend in the tower
leg, from safemongers, to scaremongers, to lawyer solicitors.

If it was my tower, I would make wooden form around the injured part, pour
the concrete around it and enjoy the raised base. Kinda, sitting in the cast
that is many times stronger than original structure and without disturbing
anything.
Bottom part of the guyed tower is stressed on compression, encapsulating it
in the concrete is the least disturbing/dangerous remedy and only ads to
overall base function. Cost is some scrap wood and bunch of bags of cement
and some sweat mixing it on a sunny day.

If I knew it was so dangerous to build your own tower, I woldn't built my 65
ft tiltover from TV tower, or installed Big Bertha myself.
(Good thing I am a mechanical engineer, or lawyers would be already after me?)

Remember? Arch was built by amateurs, Titanic by professionals!

Yuri, K3BU