[TowerTalk] my comments on tar and concrete

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] my comments on tar and concrete
From: w9ol@billnjudy.com (Bill)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:19:55 -0600
I forgot to mention one VERY important issue.
The concrete that is used for tower base or guy anchor points should be
sufficiently above the surface of the soil and sloped as such to promote
the run off of water.

While I'm not sure of fiberglass type guys and as another person
commented, guying cable should not terminate inside the concrete but
should terminate at a properly prepared and protected anchor.

While I can't comment on soil conditions. My experience in the Chicago
area with it's wide variation of temperatures, humidity, and airborne
acids, has shown me the effects of unprotected or improperly protected
structural steel.

If it expands and contracts, it will allow moisture in eventually.
By the way, ask a roofer how long he guarantees conventional tarred
roofs.

This is my last comment. Do what you feel is best.

First Law of Advice: The correct advice is to give the advice that is
desired.

Bill H. in Chicagoland
w9ol@billnjudy.com   FireBrick@telocity.com   w9ol@telocity.com