[TowerTalk] LOOS gauge ramblings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] LOOS gauge ramblings
From: gdaught6@leland.stanford.edu (George T. Daughters)
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 13:32:39 -0800
On 14 Mar 01, at 0:36, Stan or Patricia Griffiths wrote:

> You know, there is a fairly easy way to test all of this and find out
> the real answers.  Remember how you could see if your Loos Tension
> device was reading correctly, right in your garage?  You hang a piece
> of guy wire vertically from the rafters.  You then load it with a
> known amount of weight like a five gallon bucket of pieces of steel
> you have weighed on another scale.  You then test the tension in this

< snip >

This is, in theory, a good way to get a known tension!  But!!...

If your house and garage are built like mine are, the last sentence
should read  "You then buy a bunch of lumber and rebuild your
garage."  I tried to lift a small block chevy V-8 off the floor this
way.  Thank goodness I had the forethought to try to lift it verrrry
slowly.  The rafter flexed downward as I hauled on the block &
tackle.  The 500 pound v-8 didn't go up to nearly the extent that the
rafter came down.  When I started to hear cracking noises, I
terminated the lift.

I guess what I'm saying is "MY garage's rafters aren't up to a
reasonable calibration of a Loos gauge."  Beware!

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT