[TowerTalk] rope in elements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] rope in elements
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 05:23:03 -0500
At 11:26 PM 3/27/01 -0500, James  P. Cassidy wrote:
>Steve, I saw black antennas this weekend at Bob, W7GGs while doing the CQ
>WPX SSB contest.  Bob said part of the idea is just what you saw that it
>means less icing.  And also not as visible without the shiny aluminum
>tubes.  I think Bob just spray paints them woth black paint.

This was last mentioned several years ago, but you can buy so-called
"hydrophobic" paint that will cause antenna elements to shed ice regardless
of their color.  The stuff costs something like $90/gallon, but it really
does work, and if you're in a location where you get icing and wind it may
be the only thing that will save your antennas.

Check the towertalk archive for details, the manufacturer's telephone
number, etc.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database