[TowerTalk] Steel Towers vs. Aluminum Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Steel Towers vs. Aluminum Towers
From: dxdog@rcn.com (Jerry Keller)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:37:23 -0500
I would guess that the simple reason I've never heard of a steel yagi is
that although steel is strong, it's too heavy. Aluminum is weaker in some
ways, but also lighter. Considering the trade-offs, apparently aluminum is
usually the better choice for antennas. Apparently it's not the same in
comparing towers.

Unless I'm imagining things, there seems to be a general feeling on the
reflector that there's a seriously significant risk of fatigue failure in
aluminum towers as opposed to steel. My questions are:

(a) How serious is this risk? Have many actual failures have occurred?

(b) What are the practical variables that govern this risk?

(c) Any practical steps that will minimize or lessen this risk, and extend
failure time?

I wouldn't understand a scholarly dissertation (although if I could, I know
I could find one here!) but if anyone has some practical answers to this, it
would help me make my tower decision.

TIA for your help,  Jerry K3MGT