[TowerTalk] Guy tension

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy tension
From: davidw@copper.net (David J. Windisch)
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 07:17:01 -0500
DISCLAIMER:

DON'T READ THIS AND ATTEMPT TO EXPERIMENT UNLESS YOU ARE A BIG BOY WHO CAN
THINK FOR HIMSELF AND KNOW WTF YOU ARE DOING AROUND TOWERS, GUYS, ANCHORS,
CRANES, CABLES, ANTENNAS, SPRINGS, WEIGHTS, AND SO FORTH.    AROUND STUFF
LIKE THIS, WIN-DEADHEAT-PLACE-SHOW TRANSLATES TO WIN-LOSE-LOSE-LOSE, LIKE
RACING A LOCOMOTIVE TO A GRADE-CROSSING.   IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, YOU NEEDED
TO BE OFFENDED.

At the shop, we have 30ft ceilings, cranes, cables, weights, scales, etc.,
with which I can play after hours.

There is a definite repeatable correlation between cable tension due to
vertical deadweight and torque-wrench readings (on several different
wrenches with differing ranges), using a simple fixture with cable contact
points (grade-8 bolts) a foot apart, and a hole for the wrench tongue midway
between the contact points.

The method 'worked' with cable sizes fron 1/16in to 1/2in., and even on a
couple sizes of nylon rope with pipe slid on them for stiffness at contact
points.

Time for peer review.   Since I'm not an ME, there is a virtual certainty
that I've overlooked *something* in this uncharted territory.    I'm not
disclosing much detail cuz .. well, you can probably think why, under rules
of sinustific experimentation.

*Save the flames, pls*.    See the disclaimer above.

73, Dave, K3BHJ