[TowerTalk] Connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connectors
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 22:12:48 EDT
I am in favor of 259 family too. (Only wish the foam wasn't' coming through
the braid when soldering PL259 :-)
I wonder if there is information on various dielectrics, insulators used for
259 family. The typical materials I have seen are brownish/yellowish
(phenolic?), white (teflon?) and clear. Has anyone measured breakdown
voltages on various types? I know I fried some brown ones, but it appears
that the problem was more from overheating due to poor contact generated heat
(last on 160), rather than dielectric losses?
Also is all white insulation is it always teflon or some other stuff (like
PVC) too?
(I guess we can always try the "melt" test if not sure.)

Yuri K3BU