[TowerTalk] Alternative tower coatings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Alternative tower coatings
From: w7ni@easystreet.com (Stan or Patricia Griffiths)
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 16:56:39 -0700
Hi Dan,

I remember back in the early 60's that TriEx made towers with two different
coatings.  Standard galvanizing and another, cheaper coating that they called
"Epoxy" as I recall it.  I don't know exactly what it was but it was very thick
(1/32" or so) and it reminded me of fiber glass resin.  I have not seen one of
those towers for many years.  So it is not exactly a new idea, but, of course,
coating materials have changed a LOT since then so maybe it would be an
excellent
idea today with modern materials.  I am not aware of any commercially made steel
towers that use anything but zinc galvanizing now.

It will be interesting to read the other responses to your suggestion.

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com

Dan Simmonds wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As we all know, zinc galvanizing is by far the most common method of
> protecting a metal surface on towers both inside and out. I'm wondering if
> anyone has ever seen a tower section coated with a different material other
> than this. I know companies such as PPG have some excellent paint systems
> available today that could be applied much the same way as with a zinc bath
> with much less cost. Types of powder coatings could perhaps be used which are
> nearly as tough as galvanizing, as it looks after a bit of study on the
> subject. It also may be a way to bring that old rusty tower back to life on
> the inside. I'd be interested to hear anyone's comments about this, or on
> products that may be suitable.
>
> 73
> Dan KE3YT
> ke3yt@usa.net

> List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
> safety equipment, rigging gear, LOOS tension guages & more!
> http://www.championradio.com
>
> -----

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com