[TowerTalk] Identifying EHS wire

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Identifying EHS wire
From: shr@ricc.net (W0UN--Signal Hill Ranch)
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 18:59:26 -0600
At 01:52 PM 2001-05-04, you wrote:
>Is there anyway to "prove" that a hunk of 1/4" cable is EHS?
>
>I recently became the "proud" owner of ~1000 feet of unused 1/4" guy
>wire.  The spool that it was on had no visible identification - however
>the wire "looks like" the 1/4" EHS that I already own.
>
>73 Mike N2MG

Mike-- Guy Strand in typical amateur sizes (3/16 to 1/2) are usually
1x7.  Larger sizes can run 1x19 or 1x37.  This refers to the
number of wires in the strand and how they are layed (layered).

Left hand lay is the most common but you sometimes find
right hand lay in EHS.  BTW  Preformed grips can be bought
either way and you should always use the same "twist" sense
for the grip as the guy strand.   (Unfortunately I got some
right hand lay once that was imported and all of my guy grips
were for left hand lay.)

The key thing is that EHS is extremely brittle.  It is VERY
difficult to bend it back on itself and if you manage to
double it back it will often break off pretty cleanly when the
radius of the bend is about 10 times the diameter of the strand.
The steel strand is "hardened" steel and is very strong in tensile
strength.  Rohn talks about using EHS guy wire and then
shows you how to "serve" the loose ends around the guy.
In reality this is almost impossible to do with EHS guy wire.

Any other guy strands are much more "bendable".  The lay of the
wire is determined the same way a screw thread is determined.
So if it matches a normal (right hand) thread then it is right
hand lay and if it is "backwards" from a normal thread then
it is left hand lay.

--John  W0UN

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com