[TowerTalk] Tilting up Rohn 25

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tilting up Rohn 25
From: teamw@quixnet.net (teamw)
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 09:05:35 -0400
I concur with most of the fellows that recommend not doing it the way you
are thinking about.
If you are going to do this on a regular basis in different locations it
will also be easy to misplace components, even the nuts and bolts and end up
in a remote site jury rigging with inferior bits and adding to the hazard.
My recommendation based on your info of short term use at various, sometimes
remote locations is to go with a trailer mounted aluminum crank up / tilt
over. These are available up to 100 feet.
I have used a number of the 100 footers from Aluma Tower of Vero Beach
Florida ( http://www.alumatower.com/trailertower.html )when I was comms
manager for an oil companies exploratory drilling program in central Africa.
The scenario is similar to yours. We installed these on flat ground
(usually) in VERY remote locations for a period of one
month or so. We then had a few hours to de-rig and move maybe a hundred
miles to the next location.
The trailers are based on a structure designed around a boat trailer and are
easily and SAFELY erected and pulled down by a couple of people in a very
short time (not counting the removal of the earth anchors). We could
transport the whole thing eiher by towing behind a car, putting the whole
thing on a flat bed truck and occasionally we took the wheels off and
transported the whole thing hanging several hundred feet under a helicopter
to areas inaccessible by surface transport..

They were used for our VHF repeater antennas and were not normally located
at the drilling site but way out in the boonies at an intermediate location
between the drilling site and our base camp.
They are used for this kind of work throughout the world by oil companies
and utilities.
There are many advantages - the main disadvantage is they are considerably
more expensive than Rohn 25 structures, but what is safety worth???
They are also very resellable if your project is temporary.
In the event this is a  "gee that would be fun" project and you happen to
have the tower sections available I would back out of it in a hurry. Unless
you plan on having huge insurance coverage. Be safe.
regards
John AB4ET.

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="a">http://www.championradio.com</A>

-----