[TowerTalk] How to connect pieces of coax?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How to connect pieces of coax?
From: john@gm4nhi.demon.co.uk (John Cramond)
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 06:58:16 +0100
In message <005a01c0d976$2581b640$d7080a0a@tonno>, =?ISO-
8859-1?B?VPVubm8gVuRoaw==?= <tonno.vahk@mail.ee> writes

>Is it a good idea to make a HF antenna feedline from several shorter pieces
>of coax by soldering or in any other way connecting them together without
>proper connectors?
>
>Having RG 213 and LDF 4-50A in mind mostly. I have about 4-5 50 feet pieces
>of LDF 4-50A. What would be the best way to make one feedline out of them
>without using connectors? (hardline connectors very expensive and hard to
>find).
>
>How much do the specifications (attentuation, RF leakage, etc...) of the
>cable deteoriate when soldered together from pieces?
>Should the connections be shielded somehow??
>
>What should I be mostly worried about when doing it?
>
>I remember having read a comment about VE1ZZ doing it in some of the
>messages previously...
>
>thanks in advance for help,
>
>73s
>Tonno
>ES5TV

Tonno,

You will find an inexpensive and reliable method of joining LDF4-50 on
my home page. No need for expensive connectors and the finished job can
be made waterproof.
www.gm4nhi.demon.co.uk
--
John Cramond - GM4NHI
<john@gm4nhi.demon.co.uk>

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----