[TowerTalk] Force 12 C3 spacers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force 12 C3 spacers
From: hwardsil@WOLFENET.com (Ward Silver)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 07:18:10 -0700 (PDT)
During the tribander testing the K7LXC and I did a couple years ago (see
the Champion Radio web site for the reports...shameless plug) I noticed
that the "shock driven" or "sleeve driven element" antennas were affected
by the wind and when the antenna rotation came to an abrupt halt.  The
models we tested of this design were the C31XR, C3, and Skyhawk.

The symptoms were that VSWR would vary a little bit and you could also see
forward gain going up and down (about a dB, max) for a few seconds.  I
didn't test in strong winds, obviously, but did note that behavior existed
and suggested that spacers would cure it.  This would only be an issue
with antennas working at 20-meters and lower frequencies due to element
length and flexibility.

I don't consider this a major problem with either antenna as the
variations that I observed were minor.  It might be a problem in a really
high-wind environment - and the simple set of spacers would fix it.
Montana certainly has high average wind speed and particularly on a
200-foot tower.

Not everyone needs those spacers - just a few people with special
situations, like some need to truss or support large antennas under
certain circumstances.  That Force 12 has these spacers doesn't indicate
that there's a design flaw in the antenna - rather they are providing good
customer support by having them on hand for those that need them.

I certainly wouldn't pass by the C31, C3, or Skyhawk just because of this
issue.  They're all three fine antennas and performed at the top of their
class.

73, Ward N0AX