[TowerTalk] Re: stabilizing yagi while tramming

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: stabilizing yagi while tramming
From: 00tlzivney@bsuvc.bsu.edu (00tlzivney@bsuvc.bsu.edu)
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 08:27:47 -0500 (EST)
I disagree with the comment to put the tiller on the boom so that the
elements are tilted at a 45 degree angle.  You do not want the elements
tilted when attaching the boom to the tram line.  Rather, they should
be parallel to the ground.  The Tiller should be attached (and therefore
tilted) such that the elements are parallel to the ground at take-off,
else the elements will scrape on the ground.  It is physically impossible
to put enough tension on the tram line to make it straight - it will
have a steeper climb at the top end of the tram line than at the bottom.
Therefore, the elements will naturally take on an upward tilt as the
antenna nears the top of the tower.

BTW, several years ago some wise ham suggested using a second pair of
slings for the pull rope to pull on instead of a tiller bar.  This is
a very good idea, especially when the antenna reaches the top of the
tower!

Terry Zivney, N4TZ/9

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----