[TowerTalk] CushCraft-HyGain Merger -- amendment

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] CushCraft-HyGain Merger -- amendment
From: davidw@copper.net (David J. Windisch)
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 18:45:36 -0400
Hi, all concerned:

My apologies for accidentally fat-fingering the 'send' icon and launching an
unfinished version of this post, on 5/23, when I meant to put said version
into the drafts folder.

The merger reference is to putting one or two additional elements, DE and
REF, sourced from a HyGain 402BA, onto the 2-1/2" X 18' CC X7 boom,
providing 40M coverage.

I can take care of the mechanicals re possible boom lengthening, struts, and
so on, but am wondering about unintended electrical consequences of
substituting the linear-center-loaded 402BA DE for the lumped-end-loaded CC
X740 40M-dipole add-on.    They have, I'm sure, differing 'secondary'
resonances, which might mess things up, in the case of substituting the
402BA DE, on 20-15-10.

Does anyone have EZNEC model files of either antenna?

One response to my truncated post has it that CC gave up on a
trapped-director 40M-beam add-on to the X9 cuz of interaction problems.

Since I have a 38' X 2.5" X 0.065" boom in the boneyard here, one option is
to lengthen the X7 boom to around 30' and put the 402BA reflector way out
back of the X7 reflectors.    CC has provided holes, for their 40M add-on
dipole, about 4.5' in from the reflector end of the 18' boom, and HyGain
wants 16' of boom for the 402BA; thus the figure of about 30' for the new
boom-length.

In the meantime, I've trammed a 4BTV way up there .. no radials, per se, so
the rf can spill over the top end of the coax-feeder braid ;o)))

CU in the WPX.

73, Dave, K3BHJ

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----